Amazon Alexa is Amazon.com’s hands-free smart assistant you control with your voice to connect you services that can control some home devices as well as play music, make calls, send and receive messages, provide information, news, sports scores, weather, and more. If you haven’t checked out the Alexa platform, we recommend checking out AlexaProductReviews.com for all things Alexa. But how doe Mesh wifi and Amazon Alexa can help you in real life?
Mesh WiFi and Amazon Alexa: the good.
Why would you want to add Alexa functionality to a Mesh WiFi system? Some of the functions that could be now done via your voice include:
- Pause the internet for specific devices or home wide for screen free time.
- Ask for your WiFi password.
- Ask for your WiFi settings.
- Toggle guest access on and off.
- Set Internet schedules for devices.
- Set data caps for specific devices.
- Find devices based on which mesh router it is connected to.
- Turn on or off LED notification lights on routers (some are kinda bright to have in bedrooms for example)
The following Mesh WiFi systems support Alexa. Below are instructions on how to configure each of these to connect to your Alexa voice services.
- Add Alexa to Netgear Orbi
- Add Alexa to Linksys Velop – First create a Linksys Smart Wi-Fi account. Next, open up the Alexa mobile app and add skills to that account.
- Add Alexa to Lumo Whole Home.
- Add Alexa to eero.
We think the value Alexa adds is pretty nominal. Not sure who is going to be limiting Internet with simply their voice. Anyone have ideas for really useful Mesh WiFi and Amazon Alexa integration?
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.